These gluten free pancakes are light, oh so fluffy, and completely allergy-friendly - they're nut free, egg free, and can easily be vegan with a non dairy milk of choice. And they're so delicious, you would never even know anything was missing!
LIKE I NEED A REASON TO LOVE PANCAKES
I would have to say that breakfast is my all time favorite meal. I don’t have as much time as I would like to eat breakfast now that I have two littles running around...my focus is on them and I usually end up quickly eating something to hold me over.
BUT I so love breakfast. When I was growing up my mom would do breakfast for dinner some nights and I was in my glory!
Going out to brunch might have been my favorite thing ever, prior to the pandemic, and I may or may not have had a tendency to order everything in sight...sweet and savory.
At any rate. Pancakes. I love them. Can’t get enough. But I want them soft and fluffy and these are no exception.
SO, HOW DO WE MAKE THESE GLUTEN FREE PANCAKES?
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl
- In another large bowl, using a spoon, mix together the cornstarch and the water. It will be thick and tacky at first but eventually it will become thin and watery.
- Add the oil and milk of choice into the cornstarch water and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet with a whisk. Once it gets thick, use a spatula but do not over mix.
- I find gluten free batter does not bubble the way regular batter does. You will have to peak under the pancake to see when it’s golden and then flip.
You can top these babies with whatever you’d like. Any kind of fruit compote, honey, maple syrup, lemon curd, chocolate sauce...the list goes on. You can check out my Strawberry Sauce Recipe for an easy topping. Hope you love these allergy friendly pancakes as much as I do! Enjoy!
Gluten Free Pancakes
- 1 cup of gluten free flour
- 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups of milk of choice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons corn starch mixed with 3 tablespoons of water
- In a small bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, sugar, baking powder and salt until combined. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the corn starch and water until it is smooth and there are no lumps. I find it’s easier to do this with a spoon. Once that’s smooth, add the milk and oil and whisk everything together.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet, whisking as you do this. Once it’s combined, you may need a spatula to mix the rest. It will be dense. Set aside.
- Turn on your stove top to medium heat. With your grill pan on top of your burner, carefully grease your pan with butter, vegan baking stick or vegetable oil.
- Once the pan is warm add your pancake batter. I use an ice cream scoop and can usually fit 4 pancakes at a time. I’ve found gluten free pancake batter doesn’t seem to bubble the way it does with regular pancake batter so after a few min, using a spatula, peak to see if the underside is golden brown. If it is, flip them and cook till the other side is also golden brown.