These Sprinkle Sugar Cookies are soft and chewy eggless sugar cookies that are loaded with rainbow sprinkles! Best yet, these rainbow sugar cookies also gluten free, nut free and easily vegan!!! Unlike many eggless cookies that go stale very quickly, these beauties stay soft for days!
These sugar sprinkle cookies are so fun! I love biting into rainbows, don't you? Best part is they stay soft and chewy for days like my small batch sugar cookies, even though they are allergy friendly!
Like my chocolate sugar cookies, the first day these beauties are soft and chewy in the middle with crisp edges. Once stored in an airtight container, the cookies are soft throughout. For sugar cookies with cookie cutters, check out my Cut Out Sugar Cookies!
Reasons To Love These Cookies
- Allergy Friendly- These cookies are gluten free, nut free, egg free and can easily be dairy free (vegan)!
- Soft & Chewy- These cookies are the most perfect texture.
- Covered in Sugar- The sugar coating gives a nice sweetness! If you love cookies coated in cinnamon sugar instead, make sure to try my cinnamon chocolate chip cookies!
- Sprinkles- These cookies are loaded and topped with rainbow sprinkles just like my funfetti cookies and my chocolate sprinkle cookies!
- Gluten Free Flour- If you also have nut allergies, make sure to use a brand that’s made in a nut free facility. I really love to use this gluten free flour because it’s nut safe but it does contain dairy. It also contains xanthan gum which really helps give baked goods their bounce.
- Milk of Choice- If there are no dairy allergies or if you’re not vegan, you can use regular whole milk. For non dairy, use a non dairy milk of your choosing.
- Unsalted Butter or Vegan Baking Sticks- Don’t use melted; the cookies will spread into a giant mess.
- Cornstarch and Water- These cookies have no egg so this mixture helps bind everything together.
- Rainbow Sprinkles- Make sure to use gluten free/nut free/vegan if you want this recipe allergy friendly.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
How to Make these Vegan
- Use a gluten free flour that’s free from dairy.
- Make sure the brand of sugar you use is vegan.
- Use vegan baking sticks instead of butter.
- Only use a non dairy milk of choice.
- Read the label on your sprinkles to ensure they’re gluten free, nut free and vegan.
How to Make this recipe with All Purpose Flour
- Use 1 ¾ packed cups of regular flour (294 grams).
- Only use 2 tablespoons of milk.
- You still need to chill the dough due to the lack of eggs.
This recipe has not been tested with these substitutions and/or variations due to celiac disease and food allergies. If you change any of the ingredients, please let us know how the recipe turned out in the comments below!
How To Make Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
Here are the step by step instructions to make these cookies!
Step 1: Whisk Together the Dry Ingredients
In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Cornstarch Water
In a small bowl, using a spoon, mix together the cornstarch and water until thin and watery. It will be thick and tacky at first.
Step 3: Cream the Sugar
In a large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter or vegan baking stick and 1 ¼ cups of the sugar until it is soft and creamy. About 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Add in the other Wet Ingredients
Slowly beat the cornstarch water mixture, milk and vanilla into the creamed butter and sugar. It will look chunky.
Step 5: Add in the Dry Ingredients and Sprinkles
Slowly beat in the gluten free flour mixture a little at a time until just combined.
Pour in ¾ cup of the rainbow sprinkles and use a spatula to mix all through the dough.
Step 6: Chill the Dough
Form the dough into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2.5 hours. You must NOT skip this step or the cookies will spread everywhere. I love to chill mine overnight.
Step 7: Scoop the Dough and Coat with Sprinkles and Sugar
I use an ice cream scoop to make large cookies. It makes 12 scoops.
Press the top of each dough ball into the extra ¼ cup rainbow sprinkles, then roll each dough ball in the extra ¼ cup of granulated sugar.
It must be in that order or else the sprinkles will not stick to the dough.
Step 8: Bake the Cookies
Place dough balls about 3-4 inches apart on the parchment lined baking sheet. Bake the cookies at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 13 minutes.
Store extra dough balls in the fridge while the rest are baking if they don't all fit. I only bake 6 at a time.
Immediately reshape the cookies when they come out of the oven and let cool on the baking sheet for 5 min before transferring to a cooling rack. If you don't do this, the cookies will break apart into a giant mess.
Expert Baking Tips
- Use Room Temperature Butter- Do NOT use softened or melted butter/vegan baking sticks. The cookies will spread out when baking into a giant mess.
- Chill the Dough- If you don’t chill the dough for at least 2.5 hours, the cookies will spread and be flat and thin. Chilling overnight is the best.
- Reshape the Cookies- If you want your cookies nice and round, reshape them as soon as they come out of the oven. Either use a spatula to push them back into a circle shape or use a large circle cookie cutter. If using a cookie cutter, place it over the cookies and rotate quickly in a circle.
You can make the dough the night before. Keep it shaped in a disc, wrapped in plastic and place in a zip top bag.
If doing this, there is no need to chill it again, prior to baking.
Or you can freeze the dough for up to 30 days. Thaw the dough in the fridge the night prior to using.
Most gluten free baked goods are best made the same day, but you can make these cookies a day before!
Unlike most gluten free cookies, they’re actually so soft they stay fresh for several days!
No you do not!
You can simply leave them out to have regular soft sugar cookies!
Yes! You can use a small cookie scoop.
Bake the cookies at the same temperature but for 11 minutes. Reshape as needed. Should make around 24 cookies.
Once the cookies have cooled, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
If you want them warm and gooey, heat the cookie in the microwave for a few seconds prior to serving.
Sprinkle Sugar Cookies
- Baking Sheet
- Mixing Bowls
- Liquid and Dry Measuring Cups
- Cooling Rack
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour (I use a 1:1 gluten free flour with xanthan gum)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter or vegan baking stick, room temperature
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, the baking powder and the kosher salt. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, using a spoon, mix together the cornstarch and water until thin and watery. It will be thick and tacky at first.
- In a large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or using a hand held mixer, beat the room temperature butter or vegan baking stick and 1 ¼ cups of granulated sugar until soft and creamy. About 2-3 minutes.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in the cornstarch water mixture. Then beat in the vanilla and milk. The mixture might look slightly chunky and that’s ok.
- Still on low speed, beat the gluten free flour mixture into the wet ingredients, a little at a time until just combined.
- Once combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl using a spatula.
- Pour in ¾ cup of the rainbow sprinkles and use a spatula to mix into the dough.
- Shape the dough into a disc, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2.5 hours. This is very important. There are no eggs and if you don't do this step, the cookies will spread into a giant mess while baking,
- After 2.5 hours, preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Take the dough out of the fridge. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the dough out. You should have 12 scoops.
- Push the top of each dough ball into a small bowl of the remaining ¼ cup of rainbow sprinkles. The drop the dough ball into the remaining ¼ cup granulated sugar and coat completely.
- Space the cookies 3-4 inches apart on the lined baking sheet. I bake 6 at a time. Put the other 6 dough balls back in the fridge until they're ready to bake.
- Bake the cookies in the middle rack for 13 minutes.
- When the cookies come out of the oven, reshape. Immediately use a spatula to push the cookies back into a circle shape or use a large circle cookie cutter. If using a cookie cutter, place it over the cookies and rotate quickly in a circle.
- Do not take the cookies off the baking sheet for 5 minutes. If you try, they will fall apart. After 5 minutes, transfer cookies to a cooling rack and cool completely before storing.