Banana Bread is already fantastic as it is but this Double Chocolate Banana Bread takes it to the next level! Not only is the banana bread itself chocolate but it is loaded with chocolate chips inside and on top! This ensures each and every bite is filled with gooey deliciousness. If that wasn’t enough…it’s gluten free, nut free, egg free and easily vegan!
For those of you that are unaware…I am chocolate obsessed.
You may have figured this out from the incredible amount of chocolate recipes on this blog!
Don’t get me wrong…I love non chocolate desserts and breakfasts too, but chocolate speaks to me.
Anyway…one thing I love to do is to take traditional recipes and make them chocolate.
This time I did it wIth banana bread! Don’t get me wrong, I adore regular banana bread but this Double Chocolate Banana Bread is what dreams are made of!
Tips for making Double Chocolate Banana Bread
Mix the ingredients
- Mash the bananas- In a medium bowl use the back of a fork to mash all the bananas really well. Once they’re mashed, take your whisk and give them a good whisk. You want them to be liquidy.
- Mix the dry ingredients- In a medium bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Make the cornstarch water- In a large bowl using a spoon, mix together the cornstarch and the water until it is thin and watery. It will be very thick and tacky at first. Don’t try to use a whisk, the cornstarch sticks to it. Also, we're using a large bowl because all the other wet ingredients will be going into this bowl.
- Mix in the wet ingredients- In the large bowl of the cornstarch water, whisk in the sugar and mix until combined. Then whisk in the mashed bananas, the oil, vanilla and cinnamon and mix till well combined.
- Make the batter- Add the gluten free flour mixture into the wet ingredients a third at a time. If the batter starts to get too thick, use a spatula.
- Fold in the chocolate chips- Use a spatula to gently mix them in. Put the batter into your parchment lined 9 x 5 loaf pan. Add more chocolate chips on top of the loaf if desired. Bake for 75-80 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. When done the loaf should be risen and springy to the touch.
Can this cake be vegan?
Yes! Here are a few tips to making this loaf cake vegan:
- Use a non dairy gluten free flour.
- Make sure the chocolate chips you use are gluten free/vegan.
My family and I can’t get enough of this Double Chocolate Banana Bread. The perfect gluten free, nut free, egg free easily vegan treat for any time of the day! Enjoy!
Other Banana Recipes You'll Love
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- 1.5 cups gluten free flour
- ½ cup cocoa powder I used ¼ cup Dutch and ¼ cup dark
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 heaping tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips plus more for the top make sure to use dairy and nut free for an allergy friendly/ vegan recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 x 5 loaf pan with parchment paper leaving a one inch overhang on either side. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk until fully combined.
- In a large bowl, using a spoon, mix together the cornstarch and water until it has a thin watery consistency. It will be tacky and thick at first.
- Once the cornstarch water is mixed, add the sugar to the cornstarch water and whisk to combine. Whisk in the mashed bananas, oil, vanilla and cinnamon. Mix until well combined.
- Next, stir in the flour mixture, a third at a time, until just combined. If it gets too thick for a whisk, switch to a spatula.
- Fold in the cup of chocolate chips using the spatula. Pour the batter into the lined 9x5 loaf pan and top with more chips if desired.
- Bake for about 75-80 min until the top of the loaf is risen and springy to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the loaf pan for at least 15 min.
- Lift the banana bread out using the parchment paper overhang and let it cool before cutting it open. Otherwise, it will fall apart. Enjoy!