This Happy Birthday Cookie is an absolute dream! Not only is it a giant cookie, but it has a soft and chewy inside with crispy edges. It's loaded with chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles; a party in every bite! If that wasn't enough, it is gluten free, eggless, nut free and can easily be made dairy free (vegan)!
This Happy Birthday Cookie is perfect for times when you want something sweet but don't need an entire cake or an entire batch of cookies.
One giant cookie; the perfect amount for one person, two or maybe even three. Personally, I can eat this alone but my two little helpers did devour it with me! It is very simple to make and only requires 15 minutes of chilling time!
Reasons to Love this Cookie
- Allergy Friendly- This cookie is gluten free, nut free, egg free and can easily be dairy free (vegan).
- Crip Outside- This cookie has a crispy exterior when right out of the oven.
- Soft & Gooey Inside- This cookie is chewy and oozing with chocolate inside!
- Chocolate Chips- It is loaded and topped with chocolate chips like my Microwave Chocolate Chip Cookie!
- Rainbow Sprinkles- Add a little colorful crunch in every bite!
- Gluten Free Flour- If you also have nut allergies, make sure to use a brand that’s made in a nut free facility. I really love to use this one because it’s nut safe but it does contain dairy.
- Butter/ Vegan Baking Stick- Only use softened. If you use melted, the cookie will spread too much.
- Cornstarch and Water- This is an eggless cookie, so this mixture helps bind everything together.
- Dark Brown Sugar- I use this instead of granulated for added moisture.
- Milk- Use any milk of your choosing for added moisture.
- Chocolate Chips and Sprinkles- Use allergy friendly.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
How to Make this Vegan
- Use a gluten free flour that’s free from dairy.
- Instead of butter, use a vegan baking stick.
- Only use a non dairy milk.
- Make sure the chocolate chips you use are gluten free/vegan. I love these.
- Read the labels to make sure the sprinkles are vegan as well.
This recipe has not been tested with these substitutions and/or variations due to celiac disease and food allergies. If you change any of the ingredients, please let us know how the recipe turned out in the comments below!
How to Make Happy Birthday Cookies
Here are the step by step instructions to make this cookie!
Step 1: Whisk Together the Dry Ingredients
In a medium bowl, combine the gluten free flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
Step 2: Make the Cornstarch Water
In a small bowl, using a spoon, mix together the cornstarch and water until thin and watery. It will be thick and tacky at first.
You're only going to use one tablespoon of this mixture.
Step 3: Cream the Sugar
In the large bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand held mixer, beat the softened butter or vegan baking stick and the dark brown sugar until soft and creamy.
About 2-3 minutes.
Step 4: Add in the Other Wet Ingredients
Beat in only ONE tablespoon of the cornstarch water (discard the rest), the milk and the vanilla until fully combined. It will appear chunky. That’s normal.
Step 5: Add in the Dry Ingredients
Slowly beat in the gluten free flour mixture until just combined. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides.
Step 6: Fold in the Chocolate Chips and Sprinkles
Fold in 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips and 2 tablespoons of sprinkles, using a spatula.
Step 7: Chill the Dough and Preheat the Oven
Pop the entire bowl of dough in the freezer for 15 min.
While the dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 8: Shape the Dough
Take the dough out of the freezer after the 15 minutes and shape the dough into a ball.
Step 9: Add Additional Chocolate Chips
Pour the additional 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of rainbow sprinkles onto two small separate plates.
First press one side of the cookie into the rainbow sprinkles and then press it into the chocolate chips. Gently press down to make sure they stick.
Step 10: Bake
Bake the cookie in the center rack of the oven at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for 20-25 minutes until golden.
Step 11: Reshape and Cool
As soon as it comes out of the oven, use a spatula to push the cookie back into a circle shape.
Let the cookie cool on the baking sheet for an additional 5 min after removing it from the oven. If you try to take it off too soon, it will break apart.
After 5 minutes, transfer to a cooling rack or eat!
Expert Baking Tips
- Use Softened Butter/Vegan Baking Stick- Do not use melted butter. Since this cookie has no egg, if you use melted butter the cookie will spread into a giant mess while baking.
- Chill the Dough- I know this seems like a step you could skip if you’re in a rush, but please don’t. Cookies without eggs spread way more than cookies with eggs. If you don’t pop the dough in the freezer for 15 minutes, the cookie will spread and be flat and thin.
- Reshape the Cookie- If you want your cookie nice and round, reshape it as soon as it comes out of the oven. Use a spatula to push it back into a circle shape.
Yes. If you don't freeze the dough for 15 minutes, the cookie will spread into a mess while baking.
You can make the dough the night before. Keep it in a bowl and cover the top with plastic wrap in the fridge.
If doing this, there is no need to freeze the dough for 15 minutes.
I don’t recommend using a different sugar.
Eggless cookies can be very dry and the dark brown sugar adds lots of moisture.
Most gluten free baked goods are best made the same day, and this one is no exception.
I recommend making it the same day.
If you want to make cookies ahead of time, I would use the recipe for my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies. They have added moisture.
Storing and Freezing
I recommend eating all this happy birthday cookie the first day. Trust me...you won't have any issues with accomplishing this!
This recipe isn’t meant for the cookie to stay soft for a long period of time.
If you want soft cookies that can last a few days, please check out my Eggless Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Keep any extra cookie in an airtight container at room temperature for one day.
If you want the chocolate gooey, heat the cookies in the microwave before consuming.
You can freeze the dough of this happy birthday cookie.
Simply wrap the dough in a disc in plastic wrap then pop it in a zip top bag and freeze.
You can keep the dough frozen for up to 30 days.
Thaw the dough in the fridge the night prior to using.
Other Birthday Recipes You'll Love
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Happy Birthday Cookie
For The Cookie Dough
- 7 tablespoons gluten free flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegan baking stick, room temperature
- 5 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 heaping tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1.5 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon milk of choice
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons rainbow sprinkles
For The Top of The Cookie
- 1 tablespoon chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, the baking soda and the kosher salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand held mixer, beat the softened butter or vegan baking stick and the dark brown sugar until soft and creamy. About 2-3 minutes.
- In a small bowl, using a spoon, mix together the cornstarch and water until thin and watery. It will be thick and tacky at first.
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in only 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch water mixture. Discard the rest. Then beat in the milk and vanilla. The mixture will look chunky and that’s ok.
- Still on low speed, beat the gluten free flour mixture into the wet ingredients, a little at a time until just combined.
- Once combined, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula and using the spatula, fold in the 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips and the 2 tablespoons of rainbow sprinkles.
- Pop the bowl of dough in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Take the bowl of dough out of the freezer and shape the dough into a ball.
- Place 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips on a plate and place 1 tablespoon of rainbow sprinkles on another plate.
- Dip one side of the dough ball first in the rainbow sprinkles and then in the chocolate chips. Gently press down to make sure they stick.
- Bake the cookie (sprinkle and chip side up) in the middle rack for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Immediately reshape the cookie back into a circle using a spatula. Let the cookie cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before moving the cookie to a cooling rack. If you don't wait the 5 min, the cookie will break apart.