These Vegan Lemon Cupcakes are like little drops of sunshiney deliciousness! They have a fluffy vanilla cake filled with eggless lemon curd and dusted with confectioners’ sugar. As always, they’re gluten free, egg free, nut free and easily dairy free (vegan).
Guys…I am not kidding when I say these Vegan Lemon Cupcakes are sunshiney.
I think I made up that word. That’s ok. These cupcakes deserve a made up word.
These filled lemon cupcakes remind me of summer and are just happiness in every single bite. The tang of the lemon mixed with the sweetness of the cake give these cupcakes such incredible flavor!
Tips for making Lemon Cupcakes
Make the lemon curd ahead of time- You’ll want to have the lemon curd ready to go when you’re making the cupcakes. It doesn’t take a super long time but I would make it first before starting to mix the cupcakes. This way the curd has time to cool.
Make the holes in the cupcakes after they are completely cool- If you have piping bags with tips, you can use that to make the holes, otherwise a paring knife or clean thumb will even do. If you’re using your thumb, simply push down into the center of the cupcakes almost to the bottom but not all the way.
Dust the cupcakes with confectioners sugar prior to filling them- Once the holes have been made, dust the cupcakes with the confectioners’ sugar. It’s ok if the sugar gets into the hole; we’re going to be filling it with lemon curd anyway.
Fill the holes with the lemon curd- Let the curd flow out of the top of the hole to form a pool. (See the picture if you’re unsure as to what I mean).
How do I ensure they're vegan?
Make sure your gluten free flour doesn’t contain dairy- Some brands contain dairy in the ingredients. Make sure you pick a brand that is free of dairy.
Use vegan baking sticks- Instead of butter make sure to use a dairy free baking stick.
In the cupcakes and eggless lemon curd, use a non dairy milk- I have not tried the eggless lemon curd with soy milk. In the past, before my son was born, I would use Almond Breeze almond milk (not sponsored) instead of whole milk because my daughter was allergic at the time. It worked beautifully in puddings, ganaches and curds. I never had a problem.
And there you have it! Heavenly Lemon Cupcakes that are completely gluten free, egg free, nut free and vegan! Enjoy!
Vegan Lemon Cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups milk of choice
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
For the filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and line a regular size cupcake pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk of choice, the light brown sugar, the vegetable oil and the vanilla.
- Slowly add the milk mixture into the flour mixture and use a spatula to combine as it gets thick.
- Use an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake tins about ¾ of the way full. Bake for 24 minutes or until tops of cupcakes are golden brown and spring back at you when carefully touched.
- Let them cool in the pan for a few minutes and then transfer the cupcakes to a cooling rack.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled completely, we are going to make the hole for the filling. If you have piping bags with tips you can use that to make the hole. If not, a clean thumb will do. Simply push down in the center of the cupcake almost to the bottom but not all the way.
- Dust the tops with confectioners’ sugar. It’s ok if it gets in the hole.
- Fill the cupcake with the lemon curd and let it overflow out of the top of the hole into a nice round pool.
- Serve and enjoy! Store extras in the fridge.