Tart and creamy yet lovely and sweet, this Lemon Curd Ice Cream marries flavors and textures perfectly. Made with a homemade eggless lemon curd, this ice cream is gluten free, eggless and nut free!
This Lemon Curd Ice Cream is not overly tangy or too mild with just a hint of lemon. It truly is loaded with lemon flavor while still being super creamy and sweet! No ice cream maker is needed for this recipe, making it super simple to whip up!
For more zesty lemon recipes, try my Lemon Sugar Cookies, Blueberry Lemon Loaf, Lemon Cupcakes and Lemon Thumbprint Cookies!
Reasons To Love this Ice Cream
- Allergy Friendly- This ice cream is gluten free, nut free, egg free and can easily be dairy free (vegan)!
- Super Creamy- This ice cream is so creamy and smooth!
- Lemon Juice and Zest- Using real lemons adds great tang like in my Lemon Buttercream Frosting!
- Eggless Lemon Curd- Use this quick and easy eggless lemon curd recipe! It’s easy to make and so delicious. You’d never know it had no eggs!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- It helps the ice cream to be thick, creamy and sweet.
- Pure Vanilla Extract- Make sure the vanilla you use is pure and gf or the ice cream will have a chemical flavor.
- Lemon Juice- Make sure you use fresh squeezed from an actual lemon.
- Eggless Lemon Curd- The recipe I have is completely egg free and can easily be vegan!
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
How to Make this Vegan
- Use a dairy free heavy whipping cream.
- Only use sweetened condensed coconut milk.
- Use the eggless lemon curd recipe and use a non dairy milk and vegan baking sticks when making it.
This recipe has not been tested with these substitutions and/or variations due to celiac disease and food allergies. If you change any of the ingredients, please let us know how the recipe turned out in the comments below!
How to Make Lemon Curd Ice Cream
Here are the step by step instructions to make this ice cream!
Step 1: Make the Lemon Curd
Use this recipe to make the Eggless Lemon Curd.
Do this step first so it has time to cool.
Step 2: Whisk the Sweetened Condensed Milk, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Vanilla and Salt
In a large bowl, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and salt until combined.
It might take a minute or two for the lemon juice to fully incorporate with the sweetened condensed milk.
Step 3: Whip the Heavy Cream
In a separate large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. You can also do this with a whisk.
Step 4: Add in the Condensed Milk Mixture
Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream and whisk until stiff peaks form.
Make sure not to over whisk. Stop as soon as you get a stiff peak.
Step 5: Layer the Ice Cream and Lemon Curd
Using the spatula, pour ⅓ of the ice cream into a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
Then drizzle 3 tablespoons of cooled lemon curd all over the top of the ice cream. Take a butter knife and make swirls.
Pour another ⅓ of the ice cream on top and once again drizzle another 3 tablespoons of lemon curd.
Once again swirl with the knife. Repeat this process one more time for a total of 3 times.
Step 6: Freeze
If using a loaf pan, cover the ice cream with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. You can also use a rectangular freezer safe airtight container. Freeze overnight.
Step 7: Let the Ice Cream Sit out about 10 min before Serving
Normally no churn ice cream is super soft when left out and will turn to soup in seconds.
Not this recipe.
The acidity of the lemon juice seems to make it stay frozen longer. After about 10-15 minutes on the counter, the ice cream will have that creamy texture it’s supposed to have.
Expert Baking Tips
- Make the Eggless Lemon Curd First- Make this first so that it can cool. It needs to cool for at least 15 minutes prior to adding it to the ice cream. I suggest making it the night before so it will be nice and cool. If it has solidified too much before adding it to the ice cream, just pop it in the microwave in a heat safe bowl and heat in 5 second increments until easy enough to drizzle.
- Use Fresh Real Lemons- I know it's tempting to use lemon juice that is already made but it is best to use fresh lemons. This way the ice cream does not have a chemical taste.
- Let the Ice Cream Freeze Overnight- No churn ice cream is simple to make but very soft. It really does need to freeze overnight otherwise it will be a soupy mess within a minute of taking it out of the freezer.
Yes. It needs about 6-7 hours to freeze.
No churn ice cream is super soft and needs a long time to solidify.
If you don’t freeze it overnight, it will be a soupy mess within minutes of being on your counter
This recipe makes about 1.5 quarts or 6 cups of ice cream.
This is not sponsored but the brand silk makes one. It says it’s gluten free but I don’t see a certified label, so I would look into that if you have celiac.
As for allergens, it does contain coconut, sunflower and faba bean protein.
Yes you can but keep in mind it will not be egg free/vegan. If using store bought, make sure it says gluten free and doesn't use gluten as a filler.
Store the ice cream in a 9 x 5 loaf pan or in an airtight ice cream container.
If using a loaf pan, cover the top with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
These are my favorite air tight freezer safe ice cream containers.
The ice cream can be frozen for up to two weeks.
Other Ice Cream Recipes You'll Love
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @laneandgreyfare and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook and YouTube! Enjoy!!!
Lemon Curd Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (must be fresh squeezed)
- 9 tablespoons eggless lemon curd
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, salt, vanilla, zest and lemon juice. Make sure the lemon juice has fully incorporated into the condensed milk. This might take a minute or so.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream and beat again until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over whip!
- Pour ⅓ of the ice cream into a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Then drizzle 3 tablespoons of cooled lemon curd all over the top of the ice cream. Take a butter knife and make swirls. Pour another ⅓ of the ice cream on top and once again drizzle another 3 tablespoons of lemon curd. And once again swirl with the knife. Repeat this process one more time for a total of 3 times.
- Cover the ice cream with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freeze overnight before serving.
- When ready to serve, let ice cream sit out for about 10-15 min prior to serving, to soften. Enjoy!
The recipe for Eggless Lemon Curd is from Mommy's Home Cooking.
Tried to find a good lemon ice cream recipe everywhere! Thanks for this!