Tart and creamy yet lovely and sweet, this Lemon Curd Ice Cream marries flavors and textures perfectly. Made with a homemade eggless lemon curd, this ice cream is gluten free, eggless and nut free!
This Lemon Curd Ice Cream is not overly tangy or too mild with just a hint of lemon. It truly is loaded with lemon flavor while still being super creamy and sweet!
REASONS TO LOVE THIS ICE CREAM
- Allergy Friendly- This ice cream is gluten free, nut free, egg free and can be dairy free (vegan).
- Super Creamy- This ice cream is so creamy and smooth!
- Lemon Juice and Zest- Adds great tang!
- Eggless Lemon Curd- Use this quick and easy eggless lemon curd recipe! It’s easy to make and so delicious. You’d never know it had no eggs!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- It helps the ice cream to be thick, creamy and sweet.
- Pure Vanilla Extract- Make sure the vanilla you use is pure and gf or the ice cream will taste chemically.
- Lemon Juice- Make sure you use fresh squeezed from an actual lemon.
- Eggless Lemon Curd- The recipe I have is completely egg free and can easily be vegan!
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
MAKE THE Eggless Lemon Curd First
Make this first so that it can cool.
It needs to cool for at least 15 minutes prior to adding it to the ice cream.
I suggest making it the night before so it will be nice and cool.
If it has solidified too much before adding it to the ice cream, just pop it in the microwave in a heat safe bowl and heat in 5 second increments until easy enough to drizzle.
Use Fresh Real Lemons
I know it's tempting to use lemon juice that is already made but it is best to use fresh lemons. This way the ice cream does not have a chemical taste.
LET THE ICE CREAM FREEZE OVERNIGHT
No churn ice cream is simple to make but very soft.
It really does need to freeze overnight otherwise it will be a soupy mess within a minute of taking it out of the freezer.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
Here are the steps to make this ice cream!
STEP 1: MAKE THE Lemon Curd
Us this recipe to make the Eggless Lemon Curd.
Do this step first so it has time to cool.
Step 2: WHISK THE SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, VANILLA AND SALT
In a large bowl, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, the lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and salt until combined.
It might take a minute or two for the lemon juice to fully incorporate with the sweetened condensed milk.
STEP 3: WHIP THE HEAVY CREAM
In a separate large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. You can also do this with a whisk.
STEP 4: ADD IN THE CONDENSED MILK MIXTURE
Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk mixture and whisk until stiff peaks form. Make sure not to over whisk. Stop as soon as you get a stiff peak.
STEP 5: LAYER THE Ice Cream and Lemon Curd
Using the spatula, pour ⅓ of the ice cream into a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
Then drizzle 3 tablespoons of cooled lemon curd all over the top of the ice cream. Take a butter knife and make swirls.
Pour another ⅓ of the ice cream on top and once again drizzle another 3 tablespoons of lemon curd.
Once again swirl with the knife. Repeat this process one more time for a total of 3 times.
STEP 6: FREEZE
If using a loaf pan, cover the ice cream with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. You can also use a rectangular freezer safe airtight container. Freeze overnight.
Step 7: Let the ice cream sit out about 10 min before serving
Normally no churn ice cream is super soft when left out and will turn to soup in seconds.
Not this recipe.
The acidity of the lemon juice seems to make it stay frozen longer. After about 10-15 minutes on the counter, the ice cream will have that creamy texture it’s supposed to have.
HOW TO MAKE THIS VEGAN
A lot of you have been asking how to make my ice cream vegan.
Here is the issue. Most vegan alternatives for making ice cream contain coconut and my son cannot have it.
Some contain legumes and he can’t have those either; therefore I am unable to have these products in my home to test for you guys.
Please keep in mind that I cannot test this out at my home due to my son’s allergies, so I can’t promise it will work and it will change the flavor since coconut has a unique taste.
But…these are my ideas for those of you who have been asking. Hope it helps.
VEGAN PRODUCTS TO TRY
Ideally, you should be able to swap out the heavy cream with a vegan heavy whipping cream.
This is not sponsored but the brand silk makes one.
It says it’s gluten free but I don’t see a certified label, so I would look into that if you have celiac.
As for allergens, it does contain coconut, sunflower and faba bean protein.
As for the sweetened condensed milk, use sweetened condensed coconut milk.
A bunch of different brands make sweetened condensed coconut milk. Just make sure whatever you choose is gluten free if you’re gf.
HOW TO ENSURE THE ICE CREAM IS VEGAN
- Use a dairy free heavy whipping cream.
- Only use sweetened condensed coconut milk.
- Use the eggless lemon curd recipe and use a non dairy milk and vegan baking sticks when making it.
Yes. It needs about 6-7 hours to freeze.
No churn ice cream is super soft and needs a long time to solidify.
If you don’t freeze it overnight, it will be a soupy mess within minutes of being on your counter
This recipe makes about 1.5 quarts or 6 cups of ice cream.
Yes you can but keep in mind it will not be egg free/vegan. If using store bought, make sure it says gluten free and doesn't use gluten as a filler.
STORING AND FREEZING
Store the Graham Ice Cream in a 9x 5 loaf pan or in an freezer safe airtight rectangular shaped ice cream container.
If using a loaf pan, cover the top with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
The ice cream can be frozen for up to two weeks.
Lemon Curd Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 Oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 Pinch kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated lemon zest
- ½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice must be fresh squeezed
- 9 tablespoons eggless lemon curd
- In a large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, salt, vanilla, zest and lemon juice. Make sure the lemon juice has fully incorporated into the condensed milk. This might take a minute or so.
- In a separate large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream and beat again until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over whip!
- Pour ⅓ of the ice cream into a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Then drizzle 3 tablespoons of cooled lemon curd all over the top of the ice cream. Take a butter knife and make swirls. Pour another ⅓ of the ice cream on top and once again drizzle another 3 tablespoons of lemon curd. And once again swirl with the knife. Repeat this process one more time for a total of 3 times.
- Cover the ice cream with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freeze overnight before serving.
- When ready to serve, let ice cream sit out for about 10-15 min prior to serving, to soften. Enjoy!