Creamy vanilla ice cream with chunks of gluten free chocolate chip cookies in every bite make up this Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream! It seriously only takes a few minutes to make (minus freezing time) and is amazing on cakes, brownies, served with a gluten free cone or eaten alone! And as always, it’s gluten free, nut free and egg free!
I love this Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream! As much as I am obsessed with chocolate, sometimes having a good ice cream with a vanilla base is the way to go when you don’t want something so rich.
Reasons to Love This Ice Cream
- Allergy Friendly- This ice cream is gluten free, nut free, egg free and can be dairy free (vegan).
- Super Creamy- This ice cream is so creamy and smooth!
- Chocolate Chip Cookies- Give an amazing texture to the ice cream!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- It helps the ice cream to be thick, creamy and sweet.
- Pure Vanilla Extract- Make sure the vanilla you use is pure and gf.
- Kosher Salt- Brings all the flavors out.
- Heavy Cream- We need 2 cups (1 pint).
- Chocolate Chip Cookies- I used Cybele’s Free To Eat Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are gluten free, nut free, egg free and vegan. They’re free of the top 8 allergens and there are zero of those allergens in the facility. You can of course use homemade.
Expert Baking Tips
Break The Chocolate Chip Cookies
Use your hands to break the chocolate chip cookies into large pieces.
Do not smash or cut them. We don’t want a sand like consistency or tiny crumbs.
I usually break each cookie into about 3-4 pieces.
Let it Freeze Overnight
No churn ice cream is simple to make but very soft.
It really does need to freeze overnight otherwise it will be a soupy mess within a minute of taking it out of the freezer.
Step By Step Instructions
Here are the steps to make this ice cream!
Step 1: Whip the Heavy Cream
In a large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. You can also do this with a whisk.
Step 2: Whisk The Sweetened Condensed Milk, Vanilla and Salt
Whisk them until combined.
Step 3: Add in the Condensed Milk Mixture
Whisk the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Make sure not to over whisk. Stop as soon as you get a stiff peak.
Step 4: Break in the Cookies
Break 12 chocolate chip cookies over the liquid ice cream mixture.
Once all broken in, use a spatula to fold them into the liquid ice cream.
Step 5: Top With Extra Cookies
Using a spatula, scoop the ice cream into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or a freezer safe ice cream container.
Last but not least, break 4 more cookies over the top of the ice cream and gently press them down but don’t submerge them.
Step 6: Freeze
If using a loaf pan, cover the ice cream with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freeze overnight.
How to Make This Vegan
Additionally, a lot of you have been asking how to make my ice cream vegan.
Here is the issue. Most vegan alternatives for making ice cream contain coconut and my son cannot have it.
Some contain legumes and he can’t have those either; therefore I am unable to have these products in my home to test for you guys.
Please keep in mind that because I cannot test this out at my home due to my son’s allergies, I can’t promise it will work and it will change the flavor since coconut has a unique taste.
Apart from the fact I can't test it, these ideas listed below should work. Hope they help!
Vegan Products to Try
Ideally, you should be able to swap out the heavy cream with a vegan heavy whipping cream. This is not sponsored but the brand silk makes one.
It says it’s gluten free but I don’t see a certified label, so I would look into that if you have celiac.
As for allergens, it does contain coconut, sunflower and faba bean protein.
As for the sweetened condensed milk, use sweetened condensed coconut milk.
A bunch of different brands make sweetened condensed coconut milk. Just make sure whatever you choose is gluten free if you’re gf.
How to Ensure the Ice Cream is Vegan
- Use a dairy free heavy whipping cream.
- Only use sweetened condensed coconut milk.
- Use gluten free chocolate chip cookies that are also vegan.
Yes. It needs about 6-7 hours to freeze.
No churn ice cream is super soft and needs a long time to solidify.
If you don’t freeze it overnight, it will be a soupy mess within minutes of being on your counter.
This recipe makes about 1.5 quarts or 6 cups of ice cream.
You can replace the chocolate chip cookies with whatever cookies you desire.
Storing and Freezing
Store the chocolate chip cookie ice cream in a 9 x 5 loaf pan or in an airtight ice cream container.
If using a loaf pan, cover the top with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
These are my favorite air tight freezer safe ice cream containers.
The ice cream can be frozen for up to two weeks.
Other Ice Cream Recipes to Try
Please leave me a star review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @laneandgreyfare if you make my recipes and follow along on Pinterest! Enjoy!!!
Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Pinch kosher salt
- 16 chocolate chip cookies broken into tiny chunks
- In a large bowl using a whisk, or in a large bowl of an electric mixer using the whisk attachment, or using a hand held mixer, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and the salt.
- Using a spatula, fold the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the heavy whipping cream. Whisk everything again until stiff peaks form.
- Using a spatula, fold in the cookie chunks of 12 cookies. Pour into a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Sprinkle the rest of the broken cookies on top, cover with plastic wrap then aluminum foil and freeze overnight before serving. Enjoy!