This lemon curd recipe is utter perfection. Like liquid gold it’s creamy, tangy, sweet...and the best part...egg free, in addition to gluten free and nut free of course. It could be vegan as well by using a non dairy milk of choice and vegan baking sticks.
Egg allergies don’t mean you can’t enjoy lemon curd. Normally made with SIX eggs...it can actually be made completely egg free.
I found this wonderful lemon curd recipe from Mommy’s Home Cooking and the only thing I did differently was I used turmeric for color instead of yellow food coloring (only because I didn’t have any).
The recipe is wonderful and only takes a few minutes to make.
What do we need to make this eggless lemon curd?
Granulated sugar- This give the curd that lovely sweetness.
Cornstarch- It is what helps the curd to thicken since we are using zero eggs.
Salt- To draw out the citrus flavor even more so.
Milk of choice- Like the cornstarch, it helps to thicken the curd.
Lemons- We need about 4-5 for the juice and of course one for the zest.
Turmeric- To give it this gorgeous yellow color.
Unsalted butter or vegan baking stick- At the end to add delicious flavor and of course tho thicken as well.
This eggless lemon curd is super delish; I can’t wait to use it in a bunch of my baking! The most perfect eggless lemon curd for all your lemony treats!! Enjoy!
Eggless Lemon Curd
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice from about 4-5 lemons
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Pinch of turmeric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegan baking stick
- Wash the lemons. Take one and zest the entire thing. That should give you about 1 tablespoon of zest. Set aside.
- Juice 4-5 lemons until you have ½ cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice. Make sure to take the seeds out.
- In a small saucepan, mix the granulated sugar, cornstarch, salt and turmeric.
- The turmeric is just for more of a yellow color so you can leave it out if you wish.
- Add in the milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix everything together with a small whisk.
- Place the saucepan on medium low heat and whisk constantly until the mixture starts to bubble and thicken like a pudding consistency. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter or vegan baking stick until it has melted.
- Place a mesh colander over a heat proof bowl and pour the curd through the colander to strain it. It will now be silky smooth.
- Let cool on the counter for a few min. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge. It will thicken more.
- If you want it thinner, just scoop some out into another heat safe bowl and microwave for a few seconds before using. Enjoy!