This Strawberry Sauce is sweet with a little bit of a tang. It's the perfect topping for ice cream, pancakes, waffles, pies, cobblers, cakes and brownies al la mode style, etc! With only a few ingredients, it's so simple to make! Best yet...it’s gluten free, vegan and nut free.
Made with just 4 ingredients, this Strawberry Sauce is a quick and easy recipe that does NOT disappoint just like in my no bake strawberry pie!
Reasons To Love This Sauce
- Allergy Friendly- This sauce is gluten free, nut free, egg free and dairy free (vegan).
- Sweet- It’s sweet with a little bit of tang.
- Strawberries- It is made with fresh or frozen strawberries!
- Easy To Make- It only requires 4 ingredients!
- Strawberries- You can use fresh or frozen.
- Orange Juice- Make sure to get one with zero pulp.
- Granulated Sugar- We need ¾ of a cup.
- Kosher Salt- To bring out all the flavors.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
How to Make Strawberry Sauce
Here are the steps to make this sauce!
Step 1: Place Ingredients in Saucepan
Place the strawberries, orange juice, sugar and salt together in a saucepan. Stir to combine.
Step 2: Set Over Medium Heat
Mix it all together and set over medium heat, smashing the strawberries with the back of a spoon.
Step 3: Bring to a Boil
Cook, stirring constantly until it begins to boil. About 5 minutes.
Step 4: Simmer
Once boiling, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Step 5: Let it Cool
After 15 minutes it should look liquidy but syrupy. Let it cool. It will thicken more.
Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.
Expert Baking Tips
- Mash the Strawberries- Use the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher to break up the strawberries as you bring them to a boil in steps 2-3.
- Skim The Top- Once cooled, sometimes the sauce can have a foamy layer.If it does, skim it off with a spoon. If it doesn't, you can skip this.
It makes about 1 cup of sauce.
If it gets too thick in the fridge, scoop some into a microwave safe bowl with a little drizzle of water and heat in 5 second increments until the desired consistency.
I like to use orange juice to give the sauce a slight tang. You can always use lemon juice, but it will be even more tangy than if you use orange juice.
Storing and Freezing
Once cooled, store the Strawberry Sauce in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
I do not recommend freezing the sauce. It is best fresh.
Recipes You'll Love with this Sauce
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
- 1 ¾ cups quartered strawberries fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons no pulp orange juice
- Pinch of kosher salt
- Place the strawberries, granulated sugar, orange juice and salt in a medium saucepan.
- Mix it all together and set over medium heat, smashing the strawberries with the back of a spoon.
- Cook, stirring constantly until it begins to boil. About 5 minutes.
- Once boiling, turn the heat to low and let it simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- After 15 minutes it should look liquidy but syrupy. Let it cool. It will thicken more.
- Once cooled, transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate.