Meet the Triple Chocolate Cheesecake. Silky ganache, creamy chocolate filling with a crunchy chocolate sandwich cookie bottom; decadence in every bite. Did I mention it’s gluten free, egg free, nut free and no bake?! If you love chocolate cheesecake, this is the cake for you!
Can we just talk about this cake for a second? It’s utter chocolate heaven. So so delicious yet fairly simple to make!
It does however, take quite some time to make because of all the chilling that is needed.
I fully recommend making the crust and filling the night before so that it can solidify overnight.
You’ll need to chill it again after you do the ganache layer.
So yes, while this cake isn’t super difficult, it does have 3 steps:
1. The crust
2. The filling
3. The ganache
Let’s break it down for each of these three sections.
Making the triple chocolate cheesecake crust
Line a 9 inch spring form pan with parchment paper- Grease the entire inside of the pan, including the parchment paper, with vegetable oil. Set aside.
Smash your gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies- Place all 36 cookies into a zip top bag and seal the bag shut. Use the flat side of a mallet or use a rolling pin to crush the cookies. You want them to end up with a sand like consistency. A lot of you have asked what cookies I use. Yes you can use gluten free Oreos, but our go to are Kinnikinnick's K-toos. This is not sponsored, we just love them.
In a large bowl, melt the butter and add in the cocoa powder- Mix them both to combine. Pour the cookie crumbs into this butter mixture and use a spatula to coat them all.
Pour the crumbs into your parchment lined spring form pan- Use the flat side of a dry measuring cup to help flatten the crumbs and push them up the side of the pan.
Place the pan in the freezer- Keep it in here until you’re ready to add the filling.
Let’s make the filling
Beat the cream cheese until soft and creamy smooth- You can do this in the large bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or using a hand held mixer. This can take a few minutes if your cream cheese is super cold but I find cold cream cheese lets the cake solidify best.
Add in the sugar and cocoa powders and beat till smooth- Make sure everything is blended nicely with the cream cheese.
Turn the mixer to low- Beat in the vanilla, melted chocolate and heavy whipping cream. Beat until stiff peaks form. About 1-2 minutes. Be careful not to over whip!
Pour the filling into the pan- Take the pan out of the freezer and use a spatula to pour in the filling. Use an icing spatula to smooth the top.
Chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight- It needs to solidify completely before we can add the ganache layer.
Time for the triple chocolate cheesecake ganache
Place your chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl- All the chips go in this bowl and then set aside.
Heat the heavy cream- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, stirring constantly, heat the heavy cream until it just starts to simmer. Remove from the heat and immediately pour over the chocolate chips. DO NOT STIR! Let this sit for one minute and then use a small whisk to mix together until smooth.
Remove the cheesecake from the spring form pan- Place the cake onto a cake stand or a large flat plate.
Spoon on the ganache- Start in the center of the top of the cheesecake. Spoon the ganache into the center and using the back of the spoon, spread it around in a circular motion to coat the top of the cake. I like to do a few tablespoons at a time so I can control where the ganache goes. Push the ganache to the edge of the cake and let it gently drip down the sides. You can also do this ganache layer using a piping bag.
Cut the sandwich cookies in half- Gently arrange the cookies in the center of the cheesecake.
Chill for 30 more minutes- Back in the fridge it goes to let that ganache layer harden.
“If eating cake is wrong, I don’t want to be right.”
Thank you, Lorelai Gilmore (Gilmore Girls for those of you that don’t know) for that quote. I’m right there with you, girl!
Ok. Finally! See it wasn’t that hard to make, it’s just time consuming because of all the chilling.
After the ganache layer has solidified, it’s time to eat!
Decadence in every forkful, this no bake, gluten free, nut free, egg free Triple Chocolate Cheesecake is a must try!
Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
For the crust:
- 36 gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies I used kinnikinnick k-toos
- ½ tablespoon Dutch cocoa powder
- ½ tablespoon Dark cocoa powder you can use use 1 tablespoon of whichever cocoa powder if you prefer
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegan baking stick melted
For the filling:
- 3 packages of cream cheese 24 ounces total
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dutch cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon Dark cocoa powder again, you can use 2 tablespoons of one cocoa powder, if you prefer
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips use allergy friendly for nut free, melted and cooled
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
For the ganache topping:
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 8 ounces semi sweet chocolate chips
- 4 more gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies sliced in half, for center of the cake
- Line a 9 inch spring form pan with parchment paper. Use vegetable oil to grease the parchment paper that has been set in the pan. Set aside.
- For the crust: Place your gluten free sandwich cookies into a zip top bag and seal it shut. Use a rolling pin or the flat side of a meat mallet to smash them up until the crumbs have a sand like consistency. Set aside.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt your butter or vegan baking stick in 20 second increments, until completely melted. Add the cocoa powder and mix to combine.
- Pour the cookie crumbs into the butter cocoa powder mixture and mix to coat.
- Pour the crust mixture into the springform pan and press into the bottom of the pan and up the sides. Using the flat side of a dry measuring cup helps to push the crumbs into the correct places. Place the entire pan into the freezer while you make the filling.
- For the filling: In a large mixing bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand mixer, use a whisk attachment to beat the cream cheese until it is soft and creamy. This could take a few minutes if your cream cheese is super cold. Add the sugar and cocoa powders and beat until smooth.
- Turn the mixer speed to low and gently mix in the vanilla and melted chocolate. Add in the heavy whipping cream and beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form, about 1-2 min. Be careful not to over whip.
- Take the crust out of the freezer and using a spatula, spread the filling into the crust. Use a smaller spatula or an icing spatula to smooth the top. Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- For the ganache topping: Once the cheesecake is firm, remove the cheesecake from the spring form pan and place onto a cake stand or large plate. Set aside.
- Place your chocolate chips into a heat safe bowl. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stirring constantly, heat the heavy cream over medium heat until it just starts to simmer. Remove from heat and immediately pour over the chocolate chips but do not stir. Let sit for 1 minute and then stir until smooth.
- Starting in the center of the top of the cheesecake, spoon the ganache onto the center and using the back of the spoon, spread it around in a circular motion to coat the top of the cake. I like to do it a few tablespoons at a time so I can control where the ganache goes. Push the ganache to the edge of the cake and let it gently drip down the sides.
- Cut the gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies in half and gently arrange them in the center of the cake. Pop the cheesecake back in the fridge for at least 30 min to let the ganache harden and then, enjoy!!
The recipe for this Triple Chocolate Cheesecake was adapted from Also The Crumbs Please’s recipe.