Cookies and Cream is a favorite flavor that is loved by so so many. Donuts are a dessert that we just can’t seem to quit. Combine the two and you have a winning combination sure to steal the hearts of everyone who tries these Cookies and Cream Donuts. They’re of course, gluten free, nut free and egg free. They can easily be vegan by using a non dairy milk of choice and vegan baking sticks.
If you love cookies and cream, I know you’re going to love these. They’re so delicious and super simple to make like my Cookies and Cream Pie!
Here are a few tips to help you make these:
- Scoop the batter into a zip top bag, seal it and snip off a corner. This makes it super easy to get the batter into the donut pan.
- You want to fill the donut wells about ¾ of the way full.
- Make sure you smooth the tops with the back of a small spoon or a tiny appetizer knife, otherwise they will come out misshapen.
- Bake them for about 15 minutes. The donuts should spring back at you when you carefully touch them with a finger.
- Make sure the donuts are completely cool before frosting them otherwise you’ll have a drippy mess.
- Break up your cookies (I use these) into tiny pieces but you don’t want them like sand. You still want some chunks. Either dip the frosted donut upside down into the crumbs or place the crumbs onto the donut with your clean hands.
And that’s it!!!! Allergy friendly Cookies and Cream Donuts you’ll make again and again. I hope you guys enjoy these as much as I do!!!
Cookies and Cream Donuts
For the Donuts:
- ⅔ cup cocoa powder I did ⅓ cup of Dutch and ⅓ cup of Dark
- 1 ¾ cups gluten free flour
- 1 ¼ cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4 heaping tablespoons corn starch mixed with 6 tablespoons of water
- 1 cup milk of choice at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease the wells of two donut pans with vegetable oil. If you don’t have two pans you’ll have to cook the donuts in multiple batches.
- In a large bowl, sift together the gluten free flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking salt and the light brown sugar. Then use a whisk to combine. I’d you don’t sift, you’ll get large clumps of brown sugar which is fine if that doesn’t bother you. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, using a spoon, mix together your corn starch and water until there are no lumps and it is smooth. It will be thick and tacky at first. Once that’s combined, whisk in the milk of choice, vanilla and vinegar.
- Add the wet ingredients and the vegetable oil into the dry ingredients. It might be easiest to mix this with a spatula, until combined. It will be super dense.
- Next scoop the batter into a pasty bag or a (zip top bag and cut a corner off) and pipe into the donut pans, filling them about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for about 15 min until the donuts kind of spring back at you when gently touched.
- Remove the donuts from the oven, wait about 2-3 minutes and they should come out easily by using a small spatula. Let them cool completely before frosting.
- For the frosting: Combine all the ingredients except the cookies in a bowl using a spatula. The frosting will be thicker than normal donut icing because it needs to stand up to the cookies.
- Break the cookies apart with your hands so the texture isn’t overly sandy. Place the crumbs on a flat plate.
- Use a butter knife to frost the donut. Once it is frosted, immediately turn it frosting side down into the cookie crumbs. They should stick to the frosting. You can always use your hands to place the cookies onto the donut if you prefer. Serve and enjoy!!!