This recipe for these Blueberry Cookies produces a gorgeous purple treat - pure beauty, without any food coloring. These cookies are sweet, but not overly so. The blueberries pair perfectly with the chocolate chips creating an incredible combination that will keep you coming back for more. They’re gluten free, nut free, egg free and dairy free by using a vegan baking stick and a dairy free gf flour.
Guys. The color of these cookies. I can’t even. Purple just speaks to my heart. Always has.
When I saw the original recipe for vegan blueberry cookies on Real Simple, I couldn’t believe my eyes. I have to admit I was skeptical the color would be so vibrant but I was so wrong! It’s stunning!
At any rate, I almost followed that recipe exactly. The only difference I made was I changed the type of chocolate chips, the quantity of chocolate, the cook temperature/time and made them gluten free.
Tips for making these Cookies
Use frozen blueberries- The reason is because when they heat, they tend to have more liquid than fresh ones. We want more liquid to make that color really pop.
You can use vegan butter or regular- The type of butter you use doesn’t change the cookie itself. Just your personal preference. Make sure you use a vegan baking stick if you want them to remain vegan.
Beat the cooled blueberries in on high speed-The reason for this is we really want the blueberries to smash apart to spread that gorgeous purple color throughout.
Chill your dough- This step is always important especially in egg free/vegan cookies. Without chilling the dough, it will spread all over while baking and you’ll end up with a giant mess.
Roll your dough balls in extra chocolate chips- A lot of people ask how I get those gorgeous chocolate chips on the tops of my cookies. I simply roll the dough in extra chips before placing them on the baking sheet. They retain their shape while baking and make your cookies look beautiful!
There you have it!!! These Blueberry Cookies are so simple to make and sure to impress anyone you show them to! Enjoy!
- 1 cup gluten free flour dairy free for vegan
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of kosher salt
- ⅓ cup unsalted vegan baking stick softened
- ⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ⅓ cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup semi sweet chocolate chips dairy free for vegan
- ⅔ cup extra chocolate chips for rolling
- In a small microwave safe bowl, heat the frozen blueberries in 20 second increments until they are soft and jammy. This took me almost 2 minutes.
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the vegan baking stick and the sugar until soft and creamy. About 2 min.
- Turn to high speed and beat in the cooled blueberries so they mash apart and you should have a deep purple color.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, baking powder and salt.
- On low speed, slowly add in the flour mixture until combined.
- Using a spatula, stir in the ½ cup chocolate chips. Form dough into a disc, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 30 min.
- After 30 min, preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a small cookie scoop to form balls of dough. If you don't have a cookie scoop, roll pieces of dough into 1 inch balls. Then roll each ball into the extra ⅔ cup of chips, pressing the chips down into the dough.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 11 min. Let cookies cool on baking sheet. Should make 15 cookies. Enjoy!