Creamy and sweet, these Purple Sweet Potato Mashed Potatoes are not only delicious but they’re beautiful as well. Gluten free, nut free, egg free and easily dairy free, these potatoes are ones you’ll want to make for any occasion.
I like sweet potatoes more than regular potatoes and I love purple sweet potatoes most of all.
One thing I’ve found...if you want this vibrant stunning purple color, you really need to use stokes purple sweet potatoes. The same as in my Purple Sweet Potato Soup.
This is not a sponsored post...
I’ve used other brands of purple sweet potatoes and even though they’re also yummy, the color just does not compare to stokes. I always am able to find them at my local Whole Foods.
Tips for making Purple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Pierce your potatoes with a fork- After they are washed, pierce them about 6-8 times.
Microwave them one at a time- Heat them one at a time for 10-13 minutes, flipping them over halfway through.
Peel the potatoes- Using a sharp knife, slice the potatoes down the center and carefully peel the skin off. Make sure you don't burn your hands!
Mash the potatoes- Use a fork or a potato masher to mash all the potatoes in a large bowl.
Add milk of choice- Add the milk and continue to mash.
Stir in room temperature butter- After the milk is mixed into the potatoes, stir in your room temperature butter.
Mix in the honey- Give everything one last stir.
Drizzle with olive oil- And don't forget to sprinkle some kosher salt and pepper.
Can these potatoes be vegan?
Yes! Just make sure to use a non dairy milk and vegan baking sticks instead of butter!
This purple mashed sweet potatoes recipe is so so simple and can mostly be made in the microwave. It only takes about 25 minutes from start to finish; in no time you’ll have a stunning side dish that’s as delicious as it is lovely. Enjoy!
Purple Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 large sweet potatoes I used stokes purple sweet potatoes which I got at Whole Foods
- 3 tablespoons room temperature butter or vegan baking stick
- 1.5-2 cups milk of choice
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt and pepper
- Wash and scrub the potatoes. Pierce the potatoes with a fork 6-8 times all around. Microwave the potatoes (one at a time) for 10-13 min, flipping them over halfway through.
- Once soft to the touch, slice the potatoes down the center and carefully peel the skin off. Be sure not to burn your hands. Place the potatoes without the skin into a large bowl.
- Using a potato masher or a fork, start mashing the potatoes up.
- Pour 1.5 cups of milk the into the potatoes and continue mashing. If they appear dry, add ½ cup more of the milk.
- Add the room temperature butter into the hot potatoes. They should melt the butter nicely as you continue mashing and mixing.
- Once the potatoes are mashed to your liking, add the honey and give one last mix.
- Drizzle the olive oil on top of the potatoes in a circular motion and sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
- Serve warm and enjoy!