This Purple Sweet Potato Soup has the most gorgeous hue. It’s gluten free, nut free and vegan and oh so simple to make in 30 minutes. So perfect for a quick winter weeknight meal.
Reasons to Love this Soup
- Allergy Friendly- These cookies are gluten free, nut free, egg free and can easily be dairy free (vegan)!
- Purple Color- Using Stokes purple sweet potatoes makes a vibrant soup.
Like when I make my purple mashed sweet potatoes, I only use stokes purple sweet potatoes for this recipe.
It really doesn’t matter what brand you use for taste...but if you want that gorgeous hue, I find that stokes color is always so vibrant and stunning.
With that said, this recipe is so so simple yet so delicious. It’s super creamy even with zero dairy at all.
How to Make Purple Sweet Potato Soup
Here are the step by step instructions to make this soup!
Step 1: Cook the Onions and Potatoes
Cooke the onions and chopped potatoes in the oil for about 5 minutes.
Step 2: Add in the Ingredients
Add the rest of the ingredients aside from salt and pepper and cook for about 30-45 minutes until everything is soft.
Step 3: Blend it
Use an immersion blender to make it into a creamy soup. Then stir in the salt and pepper.
If you don’t have an immersion blender, that’s ok! A regular blender works as well but you will have to blend the soup in batches since it won’t all fit into the blender at once.
And that is seriously it. This Purple Sweet Potato Soup recipe could not be more delicious and easy to make. Perfect gluten free, nut free and vegan soup for those chilly nights. Enjoy!
- Use the Right Potatoes- Use Stokes purple sweet potatoes for that vibrant color.
- Use an Immersion Blender- Blend it nice and creamy very quickly.
Yes! Any sweet potatoes will work. I like Stokes sweet potatoes for their vibrant purple hue.
Yes! You just have to do it in smaller batches.
Other Savory Recipes You'll Love
Purple Sweet Potato Soup
- 4 Stokes Purple Sweet Potatoes washed, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 Yellow Onions rough chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- 32 oz box of Vegetable Broth
- 1 cup of Water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- Place the olive oil, sweet potatoes and onions into a large pot set over medium heat. Cook for about 5 min, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetable broth, water, thyme and oregano. Cook over medium heat until everything is soft. About 30-45 minutes.
- Use an immersion blender to blend everything into a creamy soup. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can use a regular blender but you’ll need to blend it in batches since it won’t all fit.
- Once blended, add the kosher salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!