This Chocolate Chip Mug Cake is sweet and oozing with mini chocolate chips! It is the perfect last minute dessert and takes just 5 minutes to make! Best yet, this mug cake is gluten free, eggless, nut free and easily vegan!
This Chocolate Chip Cake in a Mug couldn't be any easier to make! It's an eggless microwave cake that whips up in just 5 minutes! 3 minutes of prep and 2 minutes to cook!
REASONS TO LOVE THESE Cakes
- Allergy Friendly- These cakes are gluten free, nut free, egg free and can easily be dairy free (vegan).
- Soft & Fluffy- The cakes are so super soft and delicious.
- Easy To Make- They take 5 minutes to make!!
- Gluten Free Flour- If you also have nut allergies, make sure to use a brand that’s made in a nut free facility. I really love to use this one because it’s nut safe but it does contain dairy.
- Light Brown Sugar- Helps us add moisture to the cakes since there are no eggs.
- Milk of Choice- If there are no dairy allergies or if you’re not vegan, you can use regular whole milk. For non dairy, use a non dairy milk of your choosing.
- Vegetable Oil- In this recipe we use oil instead of butter or a vegan baking stick. You can also use canola oil.
EXPERT BAKING TIPS
SMOOTHING THE BATTER
Many gluten free flour batters have a way of staying exactly as they are placed, when baked.
If you leave it misshapen after put it into the ramekins, that’s how they will remain when baked.
When the batter is in the ramekins, gently smooth the tops with a butter knife or the back or a small spoon.
Cook Them Together
The cook time in the recipe card is for both cakes cooked together in the microwave. The recipe makes two. If you did one at a time, the cook time would be different.
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS WITH PICTURES
Here are the steps to make these mug cakes!
STEP 1: MIX THE DRY INGREDIENTS
In a medium small bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, the light brown sugar, the baking powder and the salt until combined.
Step 2: Pour In The Wet Ingredients
Add in the milk of choice, the vegetable oil and the vanilla. Whisk until combined. If it gets too thick, switch to a spatula.
Step 3: Add In the Chocolate Chips
Pour in 2 tablespoons of the mini chocolate chips and use the spatula to mix them throughout the batter.
Step 4: Fill The Ramekins
Divide the batter equally between two greased ramekins. It should be about 2.5 tablespoons of batter in each ramekin.
Smooth the tops with a small knife or the back of a tiny spoon.
Step 5: Sprinkle extra Chocolate Chips
If desired, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips on top of each batter. Gently press down so the chips stick to the batter but do not submerge.
Step 6: Cook in the Microwave
Pop the ramekins both into the microwave and heat on high for 1 minute and 40 seconds.
The cakes should be risen, springy when carefully touched and a toothpick inserted should come out clean.
If they're still raw after the minute 40 (every microwave is different, continue to heat in 15 second increments until cooked.
HOW TO MAKE THESE CAKES VEGAN
Follow these simple steps to make sure these mug cakes are vegan:
- Use a gluten free flour that’s free from dairy.
- Only use a non dairy milk of choice.
- Read the label to ensure your mini chocolate chips are gluten free, nut free and vegan.
Most gluten free baked goods are best made the same day, and these cakes are no exception.
They really are best fresh. I advise making them the same day.
This recipe makes 2 cakes in two 4 inch ramekins.
Yes. They will cook at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes or until the tops are golden, risen and springy when carefully poked and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
STORING AND FREEZING
Since gluten free and eggless baked goods are best the first day, we want to try to keep this chocolate chip mug cake as fresh as possible.
If not eating right away, use a spatula to gently lift the cake out of the ramekin and wrap in aluminum foil.
Keep it wrapped at room temperature until ready to consume. Then, if desired, warm in the microwave for about 5 seconds. Don't warm for more than a few seconds or it will be rubbery.
This chocolate chip mug cake is meant to be eaten the same day. I do not recommend freezing the cake.
Other Easy Cakes To Try
Please leave me a star review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @laneandgreyfare if you make my recipes and follow along on Pinterest! Enjoy!!!
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- ¼ cup gluten free flour
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar , packed
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- ¼ cup milk of choice
- 1 ½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons mini chocolate chips for the tops
- In a medium small bowl, whisk together the gluten free flour, the light brown sugar, the baking powder and the salt until combined.
- Add in the milk of choice, the vegetable oil and the vanilla. Whisk until combined. If it gets too thick, switch to a spatula.
- Pour in the 2 tablespoons of mini chocolate chips and use the spatula to mix them throughout.
- Divide the batter equally between two greased ramekins. It should be about 2.5 tablespoons of batter in each ramekin. Smooth the tops of the batter with a small knife or the back of a tiny spoon.
- If desired, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of chocolate chips on top of each batter. Gently press down so the chips stick to the batter but do not submerge.
- Pop both ramekins in the microwave and cook for 1 min 40 seconds. The cakes should be risen, springy when carefully touched and a toothpick inserted should come out clean.