This Cream Cheese Frosting is sweet, yet tangy, smooth and creamy! It is so delicious, you'll want to eat it by the spoonful! Even though it's creamy, it's thick enough to hold its shape when piped on cupcakes or cake! If that wasn't enough, it takes 5 minutes to make, it's gluten free, nut free, eggless and can easily be vegan with vegan cream cheese and vegan butter!
This fluffy Cream Cheese Frosting only requires 5 ingredients and takes 5 minutes to whip up! Whether you want pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting, cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting or even brownies with cream cheese frosting, this easy cream cheese frosting recipe is so delicious and perfect for so many baked goods!
Reasons to Love this Frosting
- Allergy Friendly- This frosting is gluten free, nut free, egg free and can easily be dairy free (vegan)!
- Smooth & Creamy- This cream cheese buttercream is so soft and smooth!
- Sweet yet Tangy- The combo of the confectioners' sugar and the cream cheese create a beautiful pairing of flavors!
- Easy to Make- Whips up in one bowl with only 5 ingredients!
- Butter/ Vegan Baking Stick- Only use room temperature. Melted will make the frosting super runny and it won’t even be fixed by putting it in the fridge. If using vegan butter, make sure it's more on the cold side versus room temperature.
- Cream Cheese: Make sure to only use block cream cheese. Do not use spreadable cream cheese as it is way too soft and your frosting will not be able to be piped. For vegan, use vegan cream cheese and make sure it's slightly more cold than room temperature.
- Vanilla- Make sure to only use pure vanilla extract that is gluten free and vegan. If you use one that is not pure, the frosting will have a chemical taste.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
How to Make this Vegan
- Make sure to use vegan baking sticks instead of butter.
- Only buy vegan cream cheese that is also gluten free.
- Check to make sure the brand of sugar you use is vegan.
- Only use pure vanilla extract that's made in a gluten free and vegan facility.
This recipe has not been tested with these substitutions and/or variations due to celiac disease and food allergies. If you change any of the ingredients, please let us know how the recipe turned out in the comments below!
How to Make Cream Cheese Frosting
Here are the step by step instructions to make this simple cream cheese frosting!
Step 1: Beat the Butter and Cream Cheese
In the large bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand held mixer, beat the butter or vegan baking stick and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. About 2 minutes.
Step 2: Add the Confectioners' Sugar and Vanilla
With the mixer on very low speed, slowly add in the confectioners' sugar, salt and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Cream the Butter- You could technically put all the ingredients in the bowl together and beat them at the same time. However, this can leave chunks of butter/vegan baking stick throughout the frosting. Your best bet is to beat the room temperature butter and cream cheese first until it is smooth and creamy for about two minutes. Then beat in all the other ingredients.
- Be Careful Not to Melt the Butter- If your butter/vegan baking stick is not at room temperature and soft, be careful if you plan on popping it in the microwave. Especially if you're using vegan baking sticks. Vegan baking sticks are different than butter in the sense that if they are too melted in your frosting, they will create a liquid mess and your frosting will be sliding all over your cakes and cupcakes. At that point, even putting the frosting in the fridge would not help. It will still be a liquid mess. If you are using butter, popping the frosting in the fridge will sometimes help resolidify and make the frosting thicker and firmer but not always.
- Only Use Block Cream Cheese- Do not use spreadable cream cheese. It is way too soft and your frosting will be a runny mess. Even putting it in the fridge will not fix it. If using vegan cream cheese, use it on the cooler side rather than actual room temperature.
Here is how to thicken cream cheese frosting: If the frosting is too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time until you get the desired consistency. You want it thick enough for piped cream cheese frosting.
If the frosting is too thick, add a little water ¼ teaspoon at a time until you get the desired consistency.
You can make this frosting the night before you need to use it. Store it in an airtight container or a bowl covered with plastic wrap, in the fridge.
When ready to use, let it come to room temperature and rewhip to get that creamy consistency.
This recipe makes about 3 cups of frosting.
That should be enough for a 2 layer cake, 16 cupcakes, 12 large cookies or 6 dozen small cookies.
For a loaf cake or a one layer cake, divide the recipe in half.
Storing: Store extra cream cheese frosting in an airtight container or a bowl covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 2 days. When ready to use, let it come to room temperature on the counter and rewhip to get that creamy consistency.
Freezing: You can freeze the frosting for up to one month in an airtight freezer safe container. To defrost, put the frosting in the fridge the night before. When ready to use, let it come to room temperature on the counter and rewhip to get that creamy consistency.
Other Frosting Recipes You'll Love
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter or vegan baking stick, room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
- 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 pinches kosher salt
- In the large bowl of an electric mixer or using a hand held mixer, beat the 1 cup of unsalted butter or vegan baking stick and 8 ounces of cream cheese until smooth and creamy. About 2 minutes.
- With the mixer on very low speed, slowly add in the 5 cups of confectioners' sugar, 2 pinches of kosher salt and 4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract. Beat until combined.