This No-Bake Chocolate Pie is the easiest chocolatey dessert that doesn't require any oven time! Made from a chocolate sandwich cookie crust and filled with a chocolate cream, it can be topped with whipped cream or simply be left as is! Best yet, it's gluten free, nut free, eggless and can be dairy free (vegan)!
This no-bake chocolate pie is so creamy and decadent yet doesn't require an oven during those hot months! It's so luscious, like my Vegan Chocolate Pudding Pie, you'll want to make it again and again!
If you're looking for more no bake recipes, check out my No Bake Strawberry Pie, Chocolate Ganache Tart and my Cookies and Cream Pie!
Reasons to Love this Pie
- Allergy Friendly- This pie is gluten free, nut free, egg free and can easily be dairy free (vegan)!
- No Bake- This recipe is perfect when days when you don't want to turn on the oven!
- Chocolate- The pie is filled with melted chocolate, has two types of cocoa powder and a chocolate cookie crust!
- Whipped Cream- We use it in the filling. Make sure to use dairy free heavy cream to keep this recipe vegan!
- Chocolate Chips- I used these semi sweet allergy friendly chocolate chips.
- Butter or Vegan Baking Stick- We use melted to make the crust.
- Powder Sugar- We use it in the whipped cream to sweeten it a bit.
- Chocolate Sandwich Cookies- I used these gluten free/nut free/vegan chocolate sandwich cookies. Feel free to use gluten free oreos if you prefer.
- Heavy Cream- We use this to make the whipped cream. To make vegan, use a dairy free heavy cream alternative like you can in my Dusted Cocoa Truffles.
See my recipe card below for a complete list of the ingredients with measurements.
Substitutions and Variations
How to Make this Vegan
- Only use gluten free/nut free/vegan chocolate sandwich cookies.
- Use vegan baking sticks instead of butter.
- Read the label on your chocolate chips to ensure they’re gluten free, nut free and vegan.
- Use vegan sugar.
- Make sure to use a vegan heavy cream alternative.
This recipe has not been tested with these substitutions and/or variations due to celiac disease and food allergies. If you change any of the ingredients, please let us know how the recipe turned out in the comments below!
How to Make No-Bake Chocolate Pie
Here are the step by step instructions to make this pie!
For the Crust
Step 1: Melt the Butter/Vegan Baking Stick
In a microwave safe medium bowl, melt the butter or vegan baking stick in 20 seconds increments until completely melted.
Step 2: Crush the Cookies
Place 28 of the sandwich cookies in a zip top bag and seal it shut.
Crush the cookies with the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin until they have a sand-like consistency.
Step 3: Combine the Ingredients
Pour the crushed cookies into the melted butter and stir with a spatula to combine.
Step 4: Shape the Crust and Chill
Pour the mixture into the lightly greased 9 inch pie dish and press into the bottom and up the sides. I find using the flat bottom of a measuring cup really works well.
Pop the crust in the fridge while you make the filling.
Make The Filling
Step 1: Make the Whipped Cream
In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, confectioners' sugar and salt until soft peaks form. Set aside.
Step 2: Make the Hot Water Cocoa Powder Mixture
Heat the ⅓ cup of water in a heat safe glass measuring cup in the microwave until hot. I heat mine until I see some bubbling.
While hot, carefully whisk in the cocoa powders and vanilla into the water. Set aside.
Step 3: Melt the Chocolate Chips
Place the chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each time, until fully melted.
Step 4: Add the Cocoa Powder Water into the Melted Chocolate
Pour the cocoa powder water mixture into the melted chocolate chips and whisk to combine.
If you notice the mixture getting too thick, microwave the entire thing in 10 second increments, whisking after each time, until smooth.
Step 5: Add the Chocolate Mixture to the Whipped Cream
Using a whisk, fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream and mix until there are no more white streaks.
Step 6: Pour the Filling into the Crust
Using a spatula, spread the chocolate filling into the cold crust and refrigerate uncovered overnight or for at least 6 hours.
Step 7: Serve
Cut the slices right before serving and top each slice with half a chocolate sandwich cookie.
Expert Baking Tips
- Use 2 Types of Cocoa Powder- The 2 types of cocoa powders give the pie its dark hue. If you only have one type on hand, use natural unsweetened or dutch...just know the color will not be as dark as mine. DO NOT use dark alone; it will make your pie too chalky dry and bitter.
- Crushing the Cookies- The easiest way to crush them neatly is by putting them all in a zip top bag. Then crush into a sand-like consistency using the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin. No need to remove the cream. Pop the entire whole cookies into the zip top bag to crush.
- Melt the Chocolate Slowly- If you rush this process and try to heat the chocolate in 20 second increments (instead of 15 second increments), you can overheat the chocolate. If that happens it will seize up and basically not be usable.
- Chill the Filling- You must chill the pie for at least 6 hours. I prefer overnight. The filling is a whipped cream based filling so it needs time to solidify. It's always going to be soft but if you don't chill it overnight, it will be a liquid mess.
Yes! It is best make the pie the night before.
However, do not add the cookies on top until ready to serve.
This is not sponsored but the brand silk makes one.
It says it’s gluten free but I don’t see a certified label, so I would look into that if you have celiac.
As for allergens, it does contain coconut, sunflower and faba bean protein.
Keep any extra no bake chocolate pie slices in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two days. Or keep the slices in the pie dish and cover it with aluminum foil in the fridge.
I do not recommend freezing this pie.
Other No-Bake Chocolate Recipes You'll Love
Did you try this recipe? Please leave me a ⭐ review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @laneandgreyfare and follow along on Pinterest, Facebook and YouTube! Enjoy!!!
No-Bake Chocolate Pie
For The Crust
- 28 gluten free chocolate sandwich cookies
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegan baking stick
For The Filling
- 1.5 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder ( I use 1.5 of Natural Unsweetened and 1.5 of Dark)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups chocolate chips
For The Crust
- Lightly grease a 9 inch pie dish with butter or a vegan baking stick. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe medium bowl, melt the butter or vegan baking stick in 20 seconds increments until completely melted.
- Place 28 of the sandwich cookies in a zip top bag and seal it shut.
- Crush the cookies with the flat side of a meat mallet or a rolling pin until they have a sand-like consistency.
- Pour the crushed cookies into the melted butter and stir with a spatula to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the lightly greased 9 inch pie dish and press into the bottom and up the sides. I find using the flat bottom of a measuring cup really works well.
For The Filling
- In a large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, confectioners' sugar and salt until soft peaks form. Set aside.
- Heat the ⅓ cup of water in a heat safe glass measuring cup in the microwave until hot. I heat mine until I see some bubbling.
- While hot, carefully whisk in the cocoa powders and vanilla into the water. Set aside.
- Place the chocolate chips in a heat safe bowl. Microwave in 15 second increments, stirring after each time, until fully melted.
- Pour the cocoa powder water mixture into the melted chocolate chips and whisk to combine.If you notice the mixture getting too thick, microwave the entire thing in 10 second increments, whisking after each time, until smooth.
- Using a whisk, fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream and mix until there are no more white streaks.
- Using a spatula, spread the chocolate filling into the cold crust and refrigerate uncovered overnight or for at least 6 hours.
- Cut the slices right before serving and top each slice with half a chocolate sandwich cookie.
Can't believe how delicious this came out! As a chocolate lover, I'd give this a 10 out of 10!
This was THE absolute best dessert ever. I substituted the cream for canned coconut milk chilled in the fridge. Then I crumbled Oreos on top of the pie when it was done. It was a huge hit at Thanksgiving and my kids have now asked for it to be their birthday pie. Going to be a family favorite for sure!
Oh I am so so thrilled! Thanks so much!
This recipe turned out really well! I only had a cup of chocolate chips so I used a bit more cocoa powder to compensate and I reduced the sugar to 1 tbsp and it came out delicious! This was super easy to make and tasted really good immediately and the next day.
SO glad!!!! Thanks so much!
I tried this recipe and it came out great! Its super easy to whip up (pun intended!) and was really delicious and great for a no bake dessert. I really want to try this recipe next using matcha and white chocolate in place of the cocoa and chocolate chips.
Thanks so much!!! That version sounds wonderful!
No bake chocolate pie? Sign me up! So easy! So delicious!
Thanks so much!
I made this and I almost ate the whole pie myself. I shared it with my neighbors and friends and they all said it was so good! I am so happy to have found this account for gluten free treats that can also be vegan etc!
So glad! Thank you so much!
I made this vegan for Thanksgiving and it was a hit, and you’d never know it was vegan! It was the only dessert that was eaten completely. I used a can of coconut whipping cream (chilled overnight) and gluten free Oreos to make it vegan. The recipe was easy to follow and I love checking the Instagram video for a visual. Highly recommend this pie, it’s already been requested at my family Christmas party!
Oh my gosh I'm so so glad!!! Thank you so much!
I made this dairy free to suit my allergies, it was amazing and so easy. I used coconut oil in the base just enough to form a crust easily but not be too oily. I used cold organic coconut cream (from a couple of cans) and a vegan chocolate in the filling. It turned out brilliantly. Love all the recipes here, they’re easy to adapt to suit individual dietary needs and especially appreciate the egg free recipes also 💙💙
That's so great!!! SO glad it worked out dairy free! Thanks so much!!!