This Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream is creamy, sweet with a little spice. It's a beautiful blend of pure pumpkin, cinnamon, brown sugar and maple. It tastes like a mild pumpkin pie; autumn on a spoon! Best yet, it only takes about 15 minutes to whip up (minus freezing time) and will go perfectly with all your autumn bakes! As always, it's gluten free, nut free and egg free!
This Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream is so easy to make, you won't believe it! I always find I have a little pumpkin left over in the can after I am done baking. This pumpkin ice cream recipe is the perfect thing to make with that extra little bit of pure pumpkin!
REASONS TO LOVE THIS ICE CREAM
- Allergy Friendly- This ice cream is gluten free, nut free and egg free.
- Super Creamy- This ice cream is so creamy and smooth!
- Pumpkin: This recipe calls for 6 tablespoons of pure pumpkin!
- Easy To Make- No machine is needed and it only takes 15 minutes to whip this ice cream up!
- Sweetened Condensed Milk- It helps the ice cream to be thick, creamy and sweet.
- Pure Vanilla Extract- Make sure the vanilla you use is pure and gf or the ice cream will have a chemical flavor.
- Pure Pumpkin: Make sure you only use pure pumpkin...NOT pumpkin pie filling.
- Maple Syrup: The pure grade A maple syrup gives the ice cream those nutty, caramel like delicate undertones.
- Dark Brown Sugar: The dark brown sugar has a richer molasses taste than the light brown sugar and truly makes this ice cream pop.
- Cinnamon: Brings that sweet yet woodsy flavor that we just love in pumpkin pies.
Expert Baking Tips
Mix all the Liquid Ingredients Together
Make sure you mix the sweetened condensed milk, the pumpkin, the maple syrup, the dark brown sugar and the cinnamon together in a bowl until well combined.
Then pour that mixture into the already whipped heavy cream. If you pour each ingredient into the whipped cream separately, the ice cream will not have the consistent blend of flavors.
Let It Freeze Overnight
No churn ice cream is simple to make but very soft.
It really does need to freeze overnight otherwise it will be a soupy mess within a minute of taking it out of the freezer.
Step by Step Instructions with Pictures
Here are the steps to make this ice cream!
Step 1: Whisk the Ingredients Together, Minus the Heavy Cream
In a medium bowl, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, the pure pumpkin, the dark brown sugar and the cinnamon until combined.
Step 2: Whip the Heavy Cream
In a separate large bowl, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. You can also do this with a whisk.
If doing it with a whisk, it takes about 10 minutes.
Step 3: Add in the Condensed Milk Mixture
Whisk the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the heavy cream until stiff peaks form. Make sure not to over whisk. Stop as soon as you get a stiff peak.
Step 4: Top With Dark Brown Sugar
Using the spatula, scoop the ice cream into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or a freezer safe ice cream container and smooth the top using the back of a spoon.
Sprinkle dark brown sugar all over the top.
Step 5: Freeze
If using a loaf pan, cover the ice cream with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil. Freeze overnight.
How to Make This Vegan
A lot of you have been asking how to make my ice cream vegan.
Here is the issue. Most vegan alternatives for making ice cream contain coconut and my son cannot have it.
Some contain legumes and he can’t have those either; therefore I am unable to have these products in my home to test for you guys.
Please keep in mind that I cannot test this out at my home due to my son’s allergies, so I can’t promise it will work and it will change the flavor since coconut has a unique taste.
But…these are my ideas for those of you who have been asking. Hope it helps.
Vegan Products to Try
Ideally, you should be able to swap out the heavy cream with a vegan heavy whipping cream.
This is not sponsored but the brand silk makes one.
It says it’s gluten free but I don’t see a certified label, so I would look into that if you have celiac.
As for allergens, it does contain coconut, sunflower and faba bean protein.
As for the sweetened condensed milk, use sweetened condensed coconut milk.
A bunch of different brands make sweetened condensed coconut milk. Just make sure whatever you choose is gluten free if you’re gf.
How to Ensure this Ice Cream is Vegan
- Use a dairy free heavy whipping cream.
- Only use sweetened condensed coconut milk.
- Make sure the brown sugar you use is gluten free, nut free and vegan.
- Don't buy pure pumpkin with strange fillers. Make sure to read the label.
Yes. It needs about 6-7 hours to freeze.
No churn ice cream is super soft and needs a long time to solidify.
If you don’t freeze it overnight, it will be a soupy mess within minutes of being on your counter.
This recipe makes about 1.5 quarts or 6 cups of ice cream.
Yes! Check out my "how to make this vegan" section in this post for my tips.
Yes! You can!
I cannot use it because my son cannot have it but if you want to use it, simply replace the 1 teaspoon of cinnamon with 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
If you're gluten free or have nut allergies, make sure to use a brand that's safe.
Yes you can but keep in mind the ice cream will probably be even sweeter.
I prefer to use pure grade A maple syrup.
Yes you can but keep in mind I think the ice cream tastes best with that richer molasses flavor that comes from the dark brown sugar.
STORING AND FREEZING
Store the ice cream in a 9x 5 loaf pan or in an airtight ice cream container. I love these.
If using a loaf pan, cover the top with plastic wrap and then aluminum foil.
The ice cream can be frozen for up to two weeks.
Other Pumpkin Recipes You'll Love
Please leave me a star review below!
Don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @laneandgreyfare if you make my recipes and follow along on Pinterest! Enjoy!!!
Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 6 tablespoons pure pumpkin
- 4 tablespoons dark brown sugar , packed (plus more for sprinkling)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup (I use grade A)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine the sweetened condensed milk, the pure pumpkin, the dark brown sugar, the maple syrup and the cinnamon. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, using a whisk or a hand mixer, mix the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
- Once soft peaks form, pour in the sweetened condensed milk mixture into the whipped cream.
- Whisk everything together until stiff peaks form. Stop immediately when you see a stiff peak. Do not over whisk.
- Pour the ice cream into a 9 x 5 loaf pan or freezer safe ice cream container. Smooth the top of the ice cream with a butter knife or the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle some extra brown sugar all over the top of the ice cream.
- If using a loaf pan, cover the pan in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil and freeze for at least 6 hours or overnight. You can also use an airtight freezer safe ice cream container. Enjoy!